New Icknield Street offices mark first move since 1877.
Executives from the Birmingham Assay Office have joined forces with members of their building project team to celebrate work starting on the site of the new Assay Office building at Icknield Street, the Jewellery Quarter.
The Assay Office has been in its current home in Newhall Street since 1877, but the move has been arranged to demonstrate “the confidence and commitments of one of Birmingham’s oldest businesses as it continues to invest for the future,” according to an official press release.
Commenting on the ground breaking ceremony, Birmingham Assay Office chief executive and Assay master, Stella Layton, explains: “The new building will enable us to offer better facilities to our customers in terms of efficiency and security and much better, working conditions for our staff. It will provide a centre of excellence to the local trade and make our important private collection of silver and our library more accessible to researchers and other enthusiasts.
“The move is crucial to our future business development, offering a more flexible and more environmentally friendly facility to support our ambitions as we continue to grow our portfolio of innovative services to the jewellery, precious metal, gemstone and other associated trades.”
The new Office is in a designated Enterprise Zone within the Jewellery Quarter, which has recently welcomed investment.
The building project has also been supported by an ERDF grant of £1.2m which, coupled with the financial incentives of the Enterprise Zone, have enabled the Assay Office to pursue plans for the move.