Birmingham-based auction house Fellows is celebrating its 140th anniversary this year.
Over 140 years the auction house has seen six generations of the Fellows family go from strength to strength, moving to increasingly larger premises and expanding to the Capital.
The Fellows family has come a long way from their humble begins in 1876 as pawnbrokers, with shops across the West Midlands. At this time, Fellow’s used auctions to sell uncollected pledges, a service still offered by Fellows Auctioneers today.
However, when William Henry Fellows was left with an unwanted order of bicycles he decided to sell them himself by auction and that’s when Fellows & Sons was born.
As the auction business grew, William Fellows was followed into the business by his son Francis Henry who grew the jewellery auctions, selling items belonging to refugees escaping the Russian revolution.
Now into the third generation, William and Albert Fellows followed in their father’s footsteps and the business continued to flourish. The brothers handled a wide variety of goods from refugees fleeing Nazi persecution who were able to smuggle out some of their wealth.
By the swinging seventies, Antony Fellows joined the business and proceeded to run the company with his wife Muriel. In 1986, they were joined by their daughter Jayne and later, her husband Stephen. Jayne and Stephen Whittaker now run Fellows with their daughters Alexandra and Nicola working in the newly opened London office in Hill St, Mayfair.
Today Fellows now offers close to 100 specialist auctions a year including sales for jewellery, watches, silver, antiques and handbags.
To mark 140 years in business, Fellows will be holding celebrations the London and Birmingham premises.