Work on new Assay Office within St George’s development going well.
The Birmingham Assay Office has released fresh information about the development of its new site, suggesting the build has remained on schedule since it began in May.
The new site of the Assay Office is located within the St George’s development and Enterprise Zone fronting Icknield Street in Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter.
According to the Assay Office, work on the foundations is complete and a team of bricklayers are now at work on the outer walls.
The Assay Office has been in its current home in Newhall Street since 1877, but the move has been arranged to demonstrate “the confidence and commitments of one of Birmingham’s oldest businesses as it continues to invest for the future,” according to an official press release.
The new building will offer better facilities and personal security to staff and customers and will also enable wider public access to Assay Office resources, including its private library and silver collection.
Commenting at the ground breaking ceremony in May, Birmingham Assay Office chief executive and Assay master, Stella Layton, explained: “The new building will enable us to offer better facilities to our customers in terms of efficiency and security and much better, working conditions for our staff. It will provide a centre of excellence to the local trade and make our important private collection of silver and our library more accessible to researchers and other enthusiasts.
The building project has been supported by an ERDF grant of £1.2m which, coupled with the financial incentives of the Enterprise Zone, have enabled the Assay Office to pursue plans for the move.