A petition is circulating online calling for members of Gem-A to vote for an Extraordinary General Meeting to question the organisation’s charity trustees “are not fulfilling the charity’s aims and objectives, and that the charity is not being administered and governed effectively and professionally”.
The wording of the petition, including a list of allegations being levelled at Gem-A, can be seen in full below (as seen on iPetitions.com)…
Members of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain wish to request an EGM. There have been concerns raised that the charity trustees are not fulfilling the charity’s aims and objectives, and that the charity is not being administered and governed effectively and professionally.
At the EGM members will seek full and transparent explanations from the charity trustees for their recent actions and governance of the organisation. In order to formally request the Board of Trustees to call an EGM, 5% of members are required to request such a meeting. (This means in excess of 100 signatures).
**Currently the petition has around 41 signatures**
Only requests from Gem-A members (this includes associate members) are valid to request an EGM
The issues which have been raised are:
- Postponement of the AGM without explanation or an alternative date
- All staff members instructed to have no contact with the CEO, without explanation
- Withdrawal of Corporate Social Responsibility programme from recent prospectus and website, without explanation (note CSR/ ethics and sustainability are core to the Charity’s Aims and Objectives detailed in this Charity Commissions document.
- Alleged resignation of the Chairman, without formal announcement or explanation
- Board has been non-responsive to formal enquiries and concerns, resulting in a lack of transparency and communication
- Lack of treasurer in recent months
- Refusal by the board to sign Conflict of Interest forms
- Staff have repeatedly asked for decisions to be explained and evidenced in writing and have been repeatedly ignored. Board have dictated action without due explanation
- Coercion of staff members
- The dismissal of the Human Resources manager. The replacement (brought in by the board) has not been properly introduced to all staff
This news follows a recent announcement that Gem-A’s Annual General Meeting had been postponed to resolve internal issues. You can read the full story here.