MCH Group, the owner and organiser of Baselworld, has announced this morning that the show will not take place in 2021.
The exhibition was scheduled for January 28 to February 2, 2021.
It was originally described as the 2020 event — postponed — but MCH Group has now officially cancelled this year’s fair, which was due to take place last week.
That has paved the way for exhibitors, which had booked and paid deposits for this year to receive refunds.
Full details of those refunds have not been disclosed, but it appears that larger wealthier businesses accepted less generous settlements so that smaller companies facing the greatest challenges from the current Covid-19 crisis, could receive more.
MCH Group says that, in collaboration with the Swiss Exhibitors’ Committee, an amicable solution has been drawn up, unanimously approved by the Comité Consultatif and also supported by industry associations.
“I welcome the constructive attitude of the representatives of the MCH Group, which has enabled us to find a balanced solution”, says Hubert J. du Plessix, President of the Swiss Exhibitors’ Committee and a director of Rolex.
“I would also like to thank Patek Philippe, Rolex, Tudor, Chanel, Chopard, Hublot, Zenith and Tag Heuer, who, in a spirit of solidarity with the sector as a whole, have agreed to a lower refund so that the other exhibitors can benefit from better conditions.”
There is no news on whether Baselworld will return after 2021, but the management team is looking at options now that uncertainty over the financial implication of cancelling the show for two years has been setttled.
“Together with the exhibitors and visitors, we are working intensively on clarifying and discussing the requirements and options for new platforms,” says Michel Loris-Melikoff, managing director of Baselworld.
“We will be taking a decision on possible follow-up formats by the summer and will then provide information on the new concept and scheduling.”