The UK’s oldest jeweller to trade continually from the same premises has announced plans for an extensive renovation.
Norwich’s Winsor Bishop opened its doors in 1836. It is now looking to upgrade some of the plumbing and electrics and expand its retail space into the first floor.
The building is a Grade II-listed Georgian shop in Norwich city centre, meaning that Norwich County Council is heavily involved in the project, providing permission for the restoration and renovation work.
Store manager, Donna Balls, commented: “It is believed that historic store Winsor Bishop, which opened in 1836, is the oldest jewellers that has continually traded from the same premises in the UK.
“The building on Norwich’s London Street is a Grade II-listed Georgian shop and the careful refurbishment is being carried out in conjunction with advice from the restoration officer at Norwich City Council. A detailed Heritage Statement is also being drawn up in consultation with a local architecture practice.”
Balls went on: “Much of the work which will go on is necessary to bring the plumbing and electrics up to date. There is also a restoration programme planned to preserve the beautiful late Victorian and Edwardian furniture on the store’s ground floor.”
She added that the plans are subject to the landlord’s permission, and that the Winsor Bishop team expect the renovation to take approximately six months after it begins in early February. “Winsor Bishop will remain open for the duration of the refurbishment. Normal opening hours will apply,” the store manager concluded.
Furthermore, the jeweller has also opened its largest ever sale, with over £2 million worth of jewellery available.
Read more about Winsor Bishop’s recent takeover below: