The Goldsmiths’ Centre has announced it is celebrating the expert jewellery skills within the industry with a series of photographs revealing the talent behind the work by the Fellows of the Institute of Professional Goldsmiths (IPG).
The Hidden Treasures exhibition at the Goldsmiths’ Centre in Clerkenwell, which will run from 6 April to 3 May 2018, will bring together for the first-time jeweller works from 22 members of the Institute of Professional Goldsmiths.
According to Goldsmith’s, the Hidden Treasures exhibition showcases Fellows as ‘hidden treasures’ as they hold specific and expert skills, which contribute to the realisation of a broad diversity of work, but often go unnamed. They can be one of many collaborators, on whom the trade relies, but are not the public face of the industry.
A series of behind-the-scenes images taken by documentary photographer Sarah Ainslie in the Fellows’ workshops will celebrate the contribution of these exceptional craftspeople and nature of the expertise they hold and practice. The exhibition will include an outstanding display of jewellery, silverware to objet d’art by the following IPG Fellows:
• Adam Godfrey FIPG, Goldsmith Designer
• Andrew McCallum FIPG, Andrew McCallum Jewellery, Goldsmith
• Anton J Kata FIPG, Kata Wearable Art, Goldsmith/Designer
• Danila Tarcinale FIPG, waxcarving.co.uk, Designer Maker / Goldsmith / Expert Wax Modeller / Precious Jewellery Specialist
• Erica Sharpe FGA, DGA, RJ.Dip, FIPG, Goldsmith / Designer / Gemmologist
• Ingo Henn FIPG, Henn of London, Master Goldsmith
• Jennifer Bloy FRSA FIPG, Designer of Jewellery, Silverware & Objet d’Art / Wax Modeller / Goldsmith
• Joan Mackarell FIPG, Designer / Enameller
• Joanna Stroinska FIPG, Goldsmith-Jeweller/ Diamond Setter / CAD Design
• John Taylor FIPG and Peter Rome FIPG, Chas Matthews Lapidaries Ltd – Gemstone Cutters
• Karina Martus FIPG, K. Martus Bespoke Jewellery, Designer / Diamond Mounter
• Mandos Demetriou FIPG, Mandos Jewellery of London, Diamond Mounter / Master Pattern Maker / Caster / Diamond Setter / Chaser
• Mike Shorer DCJ FGC FIPG, Mike Shorer Fine Jewellery, Goldsmith
• Ray Walton FIPG, Silversmith
• Rob Girling FIPG, Selini Jewellery Ltd, Jewellery Designer, Goldsmith and Diamond Setter
• Russell Lownsbrough FIPG, Designer Wax-Carver and Goldsmith
• Ruth and Chris Sherry FIPG, Sherry Jewellery, Designer Maker Goldsmiths
• Stanley Somerford FIPG, S.V.S Designs, Diamond Mounter
• Thomas Carl Johnson FIPG and Mandy Morris FIPG, WERK by TCJ Designers, Bespoke Jewellery
• Tom Wightman FIPG, Jewellery Designer and Goldsmith
• Wayne Meeten FIPG, WVM Studio, Silversmith
• Wayne Parrott FIPG, Engraver
Chair of the Institute of Professional Goldsmiths (IPG), Phil Horton FIPG, explained: “This is the first time the Institute of Professional Goldsmiths has had the chance to have a dedicated exhibition to showcase the many skills that are available in our field.
“It is an opportunity for the public, students and other crafts men and women to meet and view the work of the Fellows of the IPG. Thanks to our links with the Goldsmiths’ Centre, we are looking forward to its success.”
Peter Taylor, director of the Goldsmiths’ Centre, commented: “To create a beautiful piece not only takes an exceptional set of skills, but also the collaborative working of an often-anonymous community of jewellers, silversmiths and allied industry professionals. Working in partnership with the Institute of Professional Goldsmiths (IPG), we are delighted to be able to showcase the talent of their membership at the Goldsmiths’ Centre and give the public a glimpse into what it takes to be amongst the most respected craftspeople in the UK.”